Who doesn’t love a new slow cooker recipe? Let me rephrase…… who doesn’t love a new, healthy and cheap slow cooker recipe. Because we are mostly vegan household we go through ton of black beans so I finally decided to get off my butt and start buying them dried to save us some money (and the environment).
I hope you enjoy this super easy recipe that I make every Monday morning to last us through the week!!
- 1-lb dried organic black beans sifted through for pebbles or bad beans
- 1 teaspoon pink hymalaian salt
- 1 tablespoon of crushed garlic (optional!! We are crazy garlic consumers!!)
- This is where some people will add an onion or cumin or chili powder!! experiment and make it your own!
- Mix the black beans, salt, and 6 cups of cold water in a pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes. To avoid this step you could soak beans over night
- Put the crushed garlic and the beans and cooking water into crock pot, cover, and turn on low.
- Cook for 4-8 hours or until beans are cooked to the firmness that you prefer. Cool beans and liquid. You can now portion onto containers and freeze but we eat this entire pot and sometimes 2 during a week of meals!!
We portion our’s out in canning jars.